Re: display table for eight-bit-graphic

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: display table for eight-bit-graphic
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 10:37:15 -0500

    But, I've just found that standard-display-table is setup
    when we start Emacs with any locale of single byte charset
    (e.g. iso-8859-1).  It seems that it is done intentionally
    by set-locale-environment as below.

The reason for this is probably for the sake of unibyte buffers.
This way, people who don't like MULE and use Emacs in unibyte
mode with European character sets get the same behavior as before.

In the past, this code only affected unibyte buffers because those
character codes 128-255 normally only appeared in them.  But nowadays,
all those codes are normal in multibyte buffers too.  The display
table treats each code the same way regardless of whether it comes
from a unibyte buffer or a multibyte buffer.