Re: info

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: info
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:29:48 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Luc Teirlinck wrote:

> Redefine RETURN in Info-mode to be just a shortcut for "m RETURN".

That's not good: RET also follows a cross-reference near point, not only
menu items.  So it must first find out what is ``the thing'' near point
that it should follow, and then do it.

> If it is impossible to figure out which
> node the user really wants, then, rather than info making a completely
> wild guess, as it currently does, the user would be alerted to that
> fact with
>
> Menu item:
>
> appearing in the echo area.

I'm not sure I like it: what RET does currently in Info is similar to
many other programs which support links or references of some kind: if
there's no link anywhere in sight, they do nothing, no questions asked.
Users generally know that if RET didn't have any effect, point is not on
a link.  What you suggest deviates significantly from that behavior, and
I seriously wonder whether the downsides of the deviation are justified
by whatever gains you think we'll have.