Re: pcl-cvs help

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: pcl-cvs help
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 01:36:16 -0500

    > The OS X dropped process ouput problem is also exhibited by the nox emacs
    > shipped with OS X. The easiest way to see it is try something like "df" in
    > eshell (it usually outputs nothing). I have not seen this behavior on any
    > other unix-ish software on OS X.

    This seemed to eliminate the problem for me (from Andrew's FAQ):

    (setq process-connection-type nil)

This could be a good work-around, but it would be better
if we could fix the underlying Emacs code to make this unnecessary.
However, that would depend on someone who works on Emacs on Mac OS
to figure out the right fix.

Andrew Choi wrote:

    There is a problem with the implementation of ptys on the Mac OS X.
    That was why I set process-connection-type to nil by default in
    lisp/term/mac-win.el.

It's better to do this in Emacs than to advise every user to do it.
Is this a bug in ptys such that Emacs can't make them work,
or is it a bug in Emacs's pty support that could theoretically be
fixed in Emacs?