Re: info

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: info
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 14:39:06 -0600 (CST)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

   Please also keep in mind that some menus have free text in between
   menu items, which doesn't belong to any menu item at all.  Here's an
   example from the Emacs manual:

       * Acknowledgments::     Major contributors to GNU Emacs.

       Indexes (nodes containing large menus)
       * Key Index::           An item for each standard Emacs key sequence.

   Which menu item would you like Info to select if point is on
   "Indexes", and how should Info tell this case from the one that
   started this thread?

Sorry, I forgot to answer this question.  The default chosen by m is
`Acknowledgments'.  This is arbitrary but predictable.  Everything
between two leading *'s is the previous *'s territory.  Again if there
is an obvious choice it is chosen.  If there is no obvious choice, we
can not be logical, only predictable.  Current Emacs behavior is
basically unpredictable and makes irrational choices even if there is
a completely obvious choice.  Users will not press RETURN in the
situation you describe unless they understand the way choices are
made.  In the situations I described, however, they would press RETURN
because the desired node seems completely obvious.

Sincerely,

Luc.