Re: problem of display property [Re: list-charset-chars and unicode-bmp]

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: problem of display property [Re: list-charset-chars and unicode-bmp]
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:26:43 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Kenichi Handa wrote:

>>  By the way, I found that current-column, move-to-column,
>>  etc. don't take display properties into acount.  I vaguely
>>  remember that once there was a discussion about using
>>  display engine to calculte column numbers.

> That discussion revealed a problem with this approach: sometimes you need
> to compute columns in a portion of a buffer that isn't displayed, so it
> doesn't appear in the glyph matrices.

Of course we can't reuse the existing glyph matrics, but,
was it the conclusion that we can't use `struct it' without
a glyph matrics?

For instance, it seems to me that doing this is possible.

(1) call init_iterator with ROW == NULL
(2) call reseat with POS == (line-beginning-position)
(3) call move_it_to with TO_CHARPOS == (point)
(4) it->hpos is the current column.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden