Re: gratuitous changes

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: gratuitous changes
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 10:54:21 +0100

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 19:00:49 -0500
"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> wrote:

> If we all agree to set things up this way, it's fine.

Well, I think we should agree to maintaing Emacs code in a normalized
way, so these kinds of conflicts (both CVS-wise and people-wise :) get
minimized.

> These were not my trailing whitespaces, but the ones that were in
> the file to start with and that you removed in a large scale, thus
> introducing conflicts in code that you probably didn't even look at.

It was on a large scale only because I checked in the Cygwin patch,
that's large. I, and others, have been commiting changes with trailing
whitespace deleted for months.

> I don't understand what you're getting at here.

I'm not trying to get anywhere, neither I'm trying to flame or be flamed
at.  I just was expressing my view that we should settle for doing
things the same way (even if it's not my way, yes, but in the issue of
trailing whitespace, seems like the simpler answer, long term).  Sorry
if it came across as angry or whatever.

> Note that there is in my mind a significant difference between
> purely spuriuous whitespace and whitespace which will naturally be
> re-introduced by editing (such as whitespace-only lines which will be
> reintroduced by the next TAB).

There's no such difference in my mind. I have set an underlined face for
the trailing whitespace so I do see it immediately. If I edit something
and accidentally introduce the whitespace, I promptly delete it.

> I'm not necessarily opposed to stripping all whitespace-only
> line, but then let's do it once and for all in a single commit
> so even though it will fuck up `cvs diff' output, I will
> at least know how I can trivially resolve all the conflicts.

I can agree with that.

>       Stefan "about 200 locally modified files"

Ouch :)

(Summary of my message: I'm really sorry for bringing trouble to you;
but I'd like to fix the "problem" as easily and painlessly as posible.)

--
Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>