Re: gratuitous changes

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: gratuitous changes
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 13:56:10 +0100

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 07:56:18 +0200 (IST)
Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> I generally dislike unnecessary whitespace changes as well: for one
> thing, they make diffs much harder to grasp.

Only because there are a lot of files with trailing whitespace inserted
casually and carelessly. If we implemented a policy of stripping it when
we find it, in a short time there would me no more conflicts about the
issue.

> So, as extreme as this particular case is, at least in
> principle, Emacs development does not seem to discourage such gratuitous
> changes.  At least it didn't until now.

That's for sure. As I've said, I've had the hook for taking out the
whitespace for a year and I've been commiting "trimmed" files since back
then.  And I'm pretty sure there are other developers who rutinely do
the same.  Not a single complain till now, IIRC.

--
Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>