Re: Bug Emacs 21.3: write-file downcasing

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bug Emacs 21.3: write-file downcasing
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 17:52:52 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 07:39:43 -0500
>
>     > We should have a `file-name-equal' predicate instead.
>
> I don't like the idea of distorting Emacs that much for the sake of
> Windows.

We already have similar solutions in place: convert-standard-filename
is a case in point.  The idea is to make any ugliness of non-Posix
systems be confined to a single place rather than spread over Lisp
packages.

In addition, I'm not sure such a primitive will be useless for Posix
platforms.  It could, for example, be useful for comparing decoded
file names with encoded ones.

In any case, the questions is what is the alternative to solve this
particular problem.  I don't think we should leave it unsolved.