Re: C-h k, C-h f and keyboard macros: Patch.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: C-h k, C-h f and keyboard macros: Patch.
Date: 11 Feb 2003 15:13:47 +0100

> Trying it, though, has unveiled a bug with local keymaps and
> `lookup-key':

> ELISP> (remap-command [home])
*** Eval error ***  Key sequence contains invalid event

The call `(remap-command COMMAND)' is equivalent to
the call `(key-binding [remap COMMAND] nil t)', so in your case,
you are trying to run (key-binding [remap [home]] nil t)
which correctly reports a "Key sequence contains invalid event"
error (but only when there are any remap entries in one of the
active keymaps -- as there are when you enable cua-mode).

This reveals that key-binding only validates as much of the key
sequence as is matched by the active keymaps, but I consider that a
minor issue.

The problem I can see is that remap-command expects a SYMBOL as the
argument.  All callers in C checks for this, but from Lisp, there is
no such check.  I'll add one.

So

> ELISP> (cua-mode 1)
> ELISP> (remap-command [home])

should have failed with a "wrong type argument" error.

But how was this related to the C-h k macro patch??