Re: Bug Emacs 21.3: write-file downcasing

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: Bug Emacs 21.3: write-file downcasing
Date: 11 Feb 2003 15:53:41 +0100

Hi all,

Somebody wrote:
>     It isn't Windows-specific: Emacs needs it handle any
>     case-preserving-but-indifferent file system correctly.

> Are there any other such systems we are trying to support?  I don't
> think so.

As I see it, it's not a question of OS but of supported file systems
these days.  MacOSX is almost exclusivly installed on HFS+ today.
Many GNU/Linuxers maintain data on FAT volumes.  Others mount SMB
volumes from networked Microsoft NT servers.  All of these are
case-insensitive, like it or not.

so long, benny

PS: The real complication is non-ASCII characters in filenames.  From
my experience this is still a black art on GNU/Linux.  This is of
course one of the problems Unix (and POSIX?) tried to avoid with using
case-sensitive file systems in the first place.  But that is a
separate problem (an extension of the problem, so to speak).