Re: Tramp keep-time broken

From: Lars Hansen
Subject: Re: Tramp keep-time broken
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 12:18:28 +0100

Kai Großjohann wrote:

It depends on the tramp method that you are using.  There are inline
methods (which transfer the file through the shell connection using
base64 or uu encoding) and there are out-of-band methods (which
invoke an external program such as rcp or scp or rsync to actually
transfer the file).
I am using methods pscp under Windows and scp under GNU/Linux. The time stamp is not preserved in any of the cases. Unless I read the code in tramp.el in a wrong way, time stamp is never preserved when copying across machines. It looks to me as a bug.

Should Tramp barf if it is requested to keep the time but can't?
Tramp actually gives a warning, I just did not see it since one have to look in the message buffer. When i call

(copy-file "~/tmp/junk" "/address@hidden:tmp/keep" t t)
(copy-file "~/tmp/junk" "/address@hidden:tmp/new" t nil)

I get

tramp: Warning: cannot preserve file time stamp with inline copying across machines
tramp: Writing tmp file using `pscp'...
tramp: Transferring file using `pscp'...done
Wrote /address@hidden:/home/l/larsh/tmp/keep
Wrote /address@hidden:/home/l/larsh/tmp/new