Re: Bug Emacs 21.3: write-file downcasing

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Bug Emacs 21.3: write-file downcasing
Date: 12 Feb 2003 19:36:28 +0000

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> So there are really two issues here when comparing two file names A and B:
>
> 1) do A and B name the same file  (could be in different directories)
>
> 2) are A and B the "same" file name, if underlaying FS is case insensitive.
>
> In case 1), comparing inodes (when available) will be the correct solution.
>
> In case 2), just comparing inodes doesn't help.

No, but comparing inodes and file-names in a case-insensitive way
does solve 2).

> Furthermore, if the file hasn't been created yet, you cannot use inodes to
> compare names A and B...

Correct, and that is the case that currently fails under MS-Windows.
So I don't think we have made any progress. I am currently swinging
back to RMS's viewpoint that introducing this new function is not
needed, since I am not aware of any bugs that introducing it would
fix.