Re: Bug Emacs 21.3: write-file downcasing

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Bug Emacs 21.3: write-file downcasing
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:29:26 -0700

Andreas Schwab wrote:

Kevin Rodgers <address@hidden> writes:

|> Even though these files have different contents, sizes, and timestamps, they
|> share the same inode number.

Do they also share the same device number?  Otherwise that looks pretty
much broken, many other utilities probably fail to work properly with such
files.

Yes they do share the same device number, and I have seen at least one
utility fail -- I think it was diff on OSF1/Digital Unix, which assumed
that files with the same inode were identical.

I'll try to get some info from Network Appliance.  In the meantime, you
might be interested in this:

http://www.netapp.com/tech_library/3002.html#I4