Re: No malayalam glyphs in language/mlm-util.el

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: No malayalam glyphs in language/mlm-util.el
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 00:43:21 +0000 (UTC)

Success!

Thank you!  I can now see all the fonts in

    emacs/lisp/language/mlm-util.el

You gave good instructions.  I copied the fonts from  savannah.nongnu.org

Here is what I did.   This should go into the documentation somewhere.

Handa-san, please add this in the best place.  Thank you.

----------------\

Here is an example of how Robert J. Chassell fetched and installed
the fonts for malayalam, and Indic language.

First, as user `root', execute these commands:

    cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/
    mkdir malayalam
    cd malayalam

    wget -c
http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/smc/free-mal-fonts.pkg/1.1/free-mal-fonts.tar.gz

    tar tvzf free-mal-fonts.tar.gz           # see what you have
    tar xvzf free-mal-fonts.tar.gz           # untar into a sub-directory

    chown -R root.root .
    chmod -R ugo+rw .

    cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/malayalam/free-mal-fonts

Now, you must make sure there is a 'fonts.scale' in the
malayalam/free-mal-fonts/ directory.

Raja R Harinath <address@hidden> writes:

    If there is no 'fonts.scale' file in that directory, create it with
    the following contents inside the ---8<--- lines.

    ---8<--- fonts.scale
    1
    malayalam.ttf -misc-malayalam-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1
    ---8<---

[the following is not needed if copying the fonts from savannah.nongnu.org]

    If there's already a fonts.scale in that directory, add 1 to the
    number on top of that file, and append the "malayalam.ttf -misc-...-1"
    line to it.

After creating the `fonts.scale' file, in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/malayalam/free-mal-fonts/
execute these commands in that directory:

    mkfontdir
    xset fp+ `pwd`
    xset fp rehash

Then, add the following to your ~/.emacs file; you can be a non-root user:

      (set-fontset-font (query-fontset (frame-parameter nil 'font))
          (cons (decode-char 'ucs #x0D00) (decode-char 'ucs #x0D7f))
          (cons "misc-malayalam" "iso10646-1"))

Now as a non-root user, you can visit

    emacs/lisp/language/mlm-util.el

in GNU Emacs and see all the fonts.