Re: no font shown with tamil.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: no font shown with tamil.el
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 02:44:59 -0500

    o When I asked them about the use of their fonts for Emacs, they've
      given me the permisson in 1999.

I'm sorry to say this, but I think you asked for the wrong kind of
permission.  Permission to "use something in Emacs" is permission that
we cannot use.  What we need is permission to include something in
Emacs under a free license.  If it is not under a free license, we
can't use it.  We can't even recommend it to people.

Besides which, the permission that they gave does not apply to GNU
Emacs at all:

    You may go ahead and create fonts for use on Linux. Hope adding credits to
    CDAC in copyright strings or in applications would be possible.

Nothing we do is specifically for use with Linux.  Some versions of
the GNU system include Linux, and some do not.  Emacs runs on the
GNU/Linux system and on many other systems.  In order to use something
in Emacs we need more than just permission to use it "on Linux".  (See
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html).

    o I realize that their fonts are not really free fonts, but since they
      seems beautiful, popular, and only well known glyphs so that we had
      no choice for that fonts other than theirs at that time.

It makes no difference how popular, beautiful or unique these fonts
are.  If something isn't free, we cannot use it.

I will delete the recommendation from INSTALL now.  However, there is no need
to start changing code yet.  I have various contacts with CDAC and will
try convincing them to make these fonts free.