Re: No malayalam glyphs in language/mlm-util.el

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: No malayalam glyphs in language/mlm-util.el
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 10:40:55 -0500 (EST)

Today's CVS snapshot, Sat, 2003 Feb 15  14:17 UTC
GNU Emacs 21.3.50.149 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)

Yesterday, I wrote:

    Thank you!  I can now see all the fonts in

        emacs/lisp/language/mlm-util.el

I spoke too soon!  I can see the fonts when I manually evaluate,

  (set-fontset-font (query-fontset (frame-parameter nil 'font))
                    (cons (decode-char 'ucs #x0D00) (decode-char 'ucs #x0D7f))
                    (cons "misc-malayalam" "iso10646-1"))

but when I put that expression in my ~/.emacs file, start a new
instance of Emacs, and then visit

  /usr/local/src/emacs/lisp/language/mlm-util.el

I do not see the fonts; I see empty boxes.

But if I manually evaluate the Emacs Lisp expression above while
looking at the `mlm-util.el' in another buffer, the empty boxes
change to proper glyphs.

I am not certain what is going on, but it looks to me that the
`set-fontset-font' function is modifying the first fontset, but that
modification is not done during the loading of the ~/.emacs file.

First, I tried putting the Emacs Lisp expression at the end of my
~/.emacs file, so it would be evaluated last, but that did not solve
the problem.

Then I wrote this hook and put it into my  ~/.emacs file:

    (add-hook 'find-file-hook
              (function (lambda ()
                          (set-fontset-font
                           (query-fontset (frame-parameter nil 'font))
                           (cons (decode-char 'ucs #x0D00)
                                 (decode-char 'ucs #x0D7f))
                           (cons "misc-malayalam" "iso10646-1")))))

This succeeds.  That is to say, with this hook, when I visit the
`mlm-util.el' file, I see the proper glyphs.

But the use of such a hook is an ugly way to solve the problem.

What should I do?

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden