Re: GTK Emacs: toolbar disappears in GTK2 "Text Only" mode

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: GTK Emacs: toolbar disappears in GTK2 "Text Only" mode
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:35:31 +0100 (CET)

> I think Emacs should do a combination of two things in this situation:
>
> 1. have a separate variable to override/ignore the GTK2 preference,
>    and display the icons regardless of the "Button Label" preference
>
> 2. supply "text-only" versions of the pixmaps so the toolbar looks OK
>    when "Text Only" buttons are selected
>
> My preference is that the default be (2), as it would make Emacs
> behave consistently with respect to other GTK2 applications.  An
> additional (non-default) option could be added to support (1).  This
> would seem to add the maximum configurability whilst retaining the
> consistent GTK2 behaviour.
>
> The behaviour should certainly not be left as it is, because the
> toolbar basically becomes invisible when the GTK2 preference is
> switched leading to confusion (as it clearly did in my case).

For now, I had to go for (1), i.e. force display of icons.  There is no
suitable text to show.  The tool bar items in Emacs have captions that
I considered first, but the Gtk tool bar makes every item the same size,
so the longest caption determines the size of the tool bar.  Emacs captions
tend to be on the long side, like "Save (current buffer)".  Although
I have a rather small font, this made the tool bar much longer than
the screen (1280 pixels).

        Jan D.