Re: MAIL_USE_FLOCK and Debian.

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: MAIL_USE_FLOCK and Debian.
Date: 19 Feb 2003 10:03:07 -0800

> It looks like the two existing movemail strategies are
> MAIL_USE_SYSTEM_LOCK and MAIL_USE_MAILLOCK.  Presuming that's
> correct, then we have to decide how to handle liblockfile.

> In addition to the thread-safe, lower-level locking functions like
> lockfile_create, liblockfile also provides maillock and touchlock
> convenience functions, so if we're on a system that has both libmail
> and liblockfile, which do we choose?  Unless we were going to do
> something like runtime dynamic linking, we'll have to link against
> one lib or the other at build time.  I don't really have any idea
> how often this might be an issue.  The way the code is arranged in
> Debian, liblockfile is always preferred if found...

Is there any reason that movemail has to be one executable?  Why not
make movemail into a wrapper around three programs that implement
(each implementing one strategy)?  That should simplify the build
process for each and, if any strategy doesn't make sense on a
particular O/S, the corresponding program can be rigged to return a
simple error for movemail to pass on.

--
David Masterson                David DOT Masterson AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.