Re: MAIL_USE_FLOCK and Debian.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: MAIL_USE_FLOCK and Debian.
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:21:07 -0500

    In addition to the thread-safe, lower-level locking functions like
    lockfile_create, liblockfile also provides maillock and touchlock
    convenience functions, so if we're on a system that has both libmail
    and liblockfile, which do we choose?  Unless we were going to do
    something like runtime dynamic linking, we'll have to link against one
    lib or the other at build time.

This seems to mean that we have to decide at build time.  If it has to
be decided at build time, the best thing to do is let configure choose
which library to use.

    Is there any reason that movemail has to be one executable?  Why not
    make movemail into a wrapper around three programs that implement
    (each implementing one strategy)?

I have nothing against this in principle, but it is full of pitfalls.
Many things can go wrong, and fixing them would require further
attention.  For instance, movemail needs to be able to find the other
executables, and that won't be trivial.  (We're talking about
installing movemail in /usr/bin.)

So we should avoid this unless it is absolutely necessary.