Re: Docstring for define-key

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Docstring for define-key
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:36:32 -0500

> Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 20:58:19 +0100, address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
> >
> > > I changed it accordingly.
> >
> > On the matter of define-key's docstring, the beginning:
> >
> > "Args KEYMAP, KEY, DEF.  Define key sequence KEY, in KEYMAP, as DEF.
> > KEYMAP is a keymap.
> >
> > [...]"
> >
> > is a bit redundant, isn't? What's wrong with:
> >
> > "Define key sequence KEY, in keymap KEYMAP, as DEF.
>
> The convention is that the first line of the doc string should mention
> the (non-optional) arguments in the actual sequence.

I doubt that was the reason.  More likely the redundant text was
put there before `C-h f' started to automatically add the
(define-key KEYMAP KEY DEF) usage.

I don't think it's important at all whether arguments are listed in the
"proper" order or not.  It's much more important that the text be
clear, concise, precise, simple.

        Stefan