Re: Emacs Manual: Mail sending via SMTP

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Emacs Manual: Mail sending via SMTP
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 11:33:07 +0100

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

>    Sending mail via SMTP requires configuring your mail user agent
> (see *note Mail Methods::) to use the SMTP library.  How to do this should be
> described for each mail user agent; for the Message and Gnus user
> agents the variable `message-send-mail-function' (see *note Mail Variables:
> (message)Mail Variables.)
> is used.
>
>    The variable `send-mail-function' controls how the default mail user
> agent sends mail.  It should be set to a function.  The default is
> `sendmail-send-it', but must be set to `smtpmail-send-it' in order to
> use the SMTP library.  `feedmail-send-it' is another option.

How about putting some example code there?  Something like this:

    If you use RMAIL, the first line will enable the SMTP library; if
    you use Gnus, the second will do:

        (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
        (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

That way, people can copy and paste easily.

Also, I wonder if it would be useful to give it a little bit more
structure, visually?  For example, you could talk about the concepts
in normal paragraphs, but then use a description list for explaining
each variable.  Also, maybe it would be useful to have a subheading
for the part that talks about authentication.  That would make it
easier for people to find it.

And finally, I'm not sure about the policy regarding `esoteric'
variables.  It's possible that these should normally be documented in
the manual.  Then the description list format would be ideal for
doing that (possibly under an "esoteric variables" heading).