Re: regression: filling comments in C++ code (today's CVS)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: regression: filling comments in C++ code (today's CVS)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:26:37 -0500

> > > And for some reason it skips empty lines at the beginning of the
> > > region, something that should be up to the caller to do. It might
> > > contain other similar oddities too.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean by "skips empty lines".
>
> I mean the following near the start of fill-region-as-paragraph:
>
>   ;; Ignore blank lines at beginning of region.
>   (skip-chars-forward " \t\n")
>
> To me it seems more natural if this function compacted all whitespace
> the same way, even that at the start.

Since the function should basically never be called on any empty line
at all, I have no idea why blank lines are skipped like that and
neither do I know when it would harm.

Could you describe in which context you bumped into it ?

> Btw, if it skips \n then it should perhaps skip \r too so that it
> works with selective-display.

I consider selective-display as an obsolete feature, so I don't think
we should try to improve support for it.

        Stefan