Re: Request for enhancement: Scrolling (etc.) in incremental search.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Request for enhancement: Scrolling (etc.) in incremental search.
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:36:12 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Richard Stallman wrote:

> It looks like your change would mean that all these commands ALWAYS
> remain in the search.  That is a big incompatible change, and I have
> doubts that I would like it.

The entire new feature is enabled by a customization switch
(isearch-allow-scroll).  I set it enabled in my patch, but it could
(should?) be disabled by default.

> Now, having some POSSIBLE way to give these commands and remain in the
> search might be ok.

Were you thinking of something like
(define-key isearch-mode-map "\M-s" 'isearch-toggle-scrolling), analogous
to isearch-toggle-case-fold?

Having used this hack for several weeks, I would now find it infuriating
to have to type M-s for each new search started.  I'd want to be able to
customize it such that scrolling would be allowed by default.  In that
case, it might be better for the customization switch to specify the
default setting for "isearch-scrolling-allowed" rather than an absolute
enablement.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
address@hidden