Re: Close .emacs file after customization?

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Close .emacs file after customization?
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 16:21:33 +0100

>     > If I open the .emacs file in one instance, customize it, then do the
>     > same in another instance, they both have an open copy of the buffer
>     > and there are race conditions as to which emacs version should be
>     > modifying the file.
>     >
>     > Can we just fix customization to close the .emacs file after it
> modifies it?
>
>     It is possible, but it will not solve the problem.
>
> Emacs interlocking should detect automatically when you lose with one
> Emacs edits that were made with another Emacs.  If custom visits the
> file in the normal way and does not do anything to disable or override
> this mechanism, it will operate.

It will operate, but changes to all but the last Emacs instance to
save the customizations will be lost.

You will get a warning if customize *does not* kill the .emacs buffer
after saving customization, which is currently the case, but that is
precisely what the original poster wanted to change.

Also, you will not get a warning if the user manually kills the .emacs
buffer.