Re: Emacs manual desribes keyboard macros in the wrong section.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Emacs manual desribes keyboard macros in the wrong section.
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:01:26 -0600 (CST)

Kim Storm wrote:

   The keyboard macro feature is currently described under customizations
   (in custom.texi), but IMO keyboard macros are not customizations
   (unless you name them etc. which I believe is not the typical use of
   keyboard macros).  In my experience, the typical use of keyboard
   macros is for doing repeated editing similar to "search and replace".

In my opinion it would certainly be appropriate to give keyboard
macros their own chapter once their discussion has reached an
appropriate size.  They are important enough to motivate that.
However, I do not believe that the above is an accurate statement.  It
describes your typical use of keyboard macros.  Actually, it also
describes my own typical use and probably that of most people who know
Elisp.  However, most Emacs users are not Elisp programmers.  For
somebody who does not know Elisp, keyboard macros are an important
customization and extension tool.  Keyboard macros used as such tend
to get named and saved in .emacs.  (All of this is irrelevant to the
separate chapter issue, but it could potentially be relevant to other
issues related to keyboard macros.)

Sincerely,

Luc.