Re: Emacs manual desribes keyboard macros in the wrong section.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Emacs manual desribes keyboard macros in the wrong section.
Date: 27 Feb 2003 12:10:20 +0100

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> Kim Storm wrote:
>
>    The keyboard macro feature is currently described under customizations
>    (in custom.texi), but IMO keyboard macros are not customizations
>    (unless you name them etc. which I believe is not the typical use of
>    keyboard macros).  In my experience, the typical use of keyboard
>    macros is for doing repeated editing similar to "search and replace".
>
> In my opinion it would certainly be appropriate to give keyboard
> macros their own chapter once their discussion has reached an
> appropriate size.  They are important enough to motivate that.

> ... most Emacs users are not Elisp programmers.  For
> somebody who does not know Elisp, keyboard macros are an important
> customization and extension tool.

I agree, and moving it out of the customization chapter which talks
about variables and other "lisp-like" stuff will probably make more
non-Elisp programmers aware of it.

>                                    Keyboard macros used as such tend
> to get named and saved in .emacs.

I could still add directions to the section on .emacs to describe how
one can save keyboard macros in .emacs (either as named commands or
as key bindings).