Re: saveplace prevent me from quitting if ~/.emacs-places is write-prote

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: Re: saveplace prevent me from quitting if ~/.emacs-places is write-protected
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 08:14:15 +0100

Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:

> Richard Stallman <address@hidden> quotes someone else saying:
>>     I have  saveplace enabled, and  I launched Emacs from  another account
>>     than mine, so, no permission on ~/.emacs-place.
>
> Can you say exactly what you did, starting from login?
>
> If you are logged in as user foo, then ~/.emacs-place should expand to
> that file in foo's home directory, and you should have permissions on
> ~foo/.emacs-place

Oh, sorry for the missunderstanding :

I logged in with my own user.

Then I did  a "su foo" and  "set user=foo" (This is on  a solaris box,
so, by default,  "su" keeps most of the  configuration of the original
user)

So, I have the priviledges of  the user foo, with the configuration of
my own user.

You can easyly reproduce it by launching

emacs /tmp/foo &
[ Modify and save foo ]
[ Modify foo again ]
su
chown root /tmp/foo
[ exit Emacs ]

> Assuming we can reproduce this, what is the right solution?  Is there
> already a policy for how Emacs should behave when there's an error
> saving a file at exit time, and that file is managed by Emacs (i.e.,
> is not just a regular file visited for editing by the user)?

I think there should be :

My configuration was a very  particular one, but it's very frustrating
to have a  running Emacs, and have to use "kill"  to exit just because
of a problem with this file, and it shouldn't be hard to fix.

I didn't look at the source,  but this shouldn't be much more than one
error catching in the right place.

Thanks,

--
Matthieu