error in backup using version control

From: John Covici
Subject: error in backup using version control
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:05:58 -0500

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

What happens here is that I have version-control set to 5, but the
oldest two backups are never touched, so I really only have 3 useful
backups instead.   For instance here are all the backups for my gnus
file  mail.misc .
  -rw-------    1 covici   audio     3971042 Mar  7 02:47 mail.misc
  -rw-------    1 covici   audio     4256003 Mar  5 02:31 mail.misc.~1292~
  -rw-------    1 covici   audio     4132323 Mar  6 17:44 mail.misc.~1303~
  -rw-------    1 covici   audio     4135459 Mar  6 18:58 mail.misc.~1304~

Thanks much.

In GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2003-02-26 on ccs.covici.com
configured using `configure '--prefix=/usr' '--mandir=/usr/share/man'
'--infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs212''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Recent input:
a e r r o r SPC i n SPC b a c k u p SPC w i t h SPC
v e r s i o n SPC c o n t r o l ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC
[ B ESC x s u b m i t TAB DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL
e m a c s - s u b TAB C-g C-y C-h a s u b m i t RET
C-g C-h a b u g RET ESC x r e p o r t TAB RET

Recent messages:
Parsing /home/covici/.mailrc... done
call-interactively: Text is read-only
Quit
Mark set
current-kill: Kill ring is empty
Type C-x 1 to remove help window.  C-M-v to scroll the help.
Auto-saving...
Quit

         John Covici
         address@hidden