Re: Customize Rogue

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Customize Rogue
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 10:38:31 +0100

> On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 09:03:20 +0100, Per Abrahamsen
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> custom-file probably should not have been declared with defcustom, as
>> it make no sense to change it throug customize.
>
> Anyway, I chose "custom-file" purely as an example. In my current
> environment, customize-rogue finds 125 rogue variables...

And I believe all of those not set from .emacs point to areas where
Emacs could be improved.

>> I'm not a Common Lisp programmer, but I
>> suspect it would be natural to use setf for that purpose.
>
> I'm not so sure. If I'm dancing with customize, I prefer to know it.
> custom-setq or custom-setf or the like would be better.

I don't believe that part of customize should be considered a seperate
part of Emacs.  The face specs originated with customize, but are now
fully integrated with Emacs.

It will probably be more useful to think of the customize form editor
as a seperate package on top of the core Emacs.