Re: saveplace prevent me from quitting if ~/.emacs-places is write-prote

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: Re: saveplace prevent me from quitting if ~/.emacs-places is write-protected
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 13:19:49 +0100

>     Assuming we can reproduce this, what is the right solution?  Is there
>     already a policy for how Emacs should behave when there's an error
>     saving a file at exit time, and that file is managed by Emacs (i.e.,
>     is not just a regular file visited for editing by the user)?
>
> It may as well ignore the error.  I don't see a better alternative.
> The user wants to exit and should not be impeded.

I don't  remember if  it is  possible to catch  an (error  "...") with
something  like (condition-case  ...), but  if it  is, then,  the best
solution would be to catch it, and then ask the user :

"Some errors occured during saving. Quit anyway ? (y/n)"

A bit like  what happens when you refuse to  save a buffer. ("Modified
buffers exist, exit anyway ?")

Note that this would cover any kind of errors during saving.

Or we can consider that my configuration is an exotic one and say that
the bug is not serious enough ...

--
Matthieu