Re: Customize Rogue

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Customize Rogue
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 20:00:23 +0100

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 12:40:04 -0600 (CST), Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> wrote:

> If I copy that line literally from your .emacs, then what is going to
> prevent that line from having exactly the same effect in my .emacs
> than it has in yours?  The VALUE you are going to enter through
> customize would be "lektu" or whatever, so that value would really
> have no effect in my .emacs, where "teirllm" would be required.

When I say that

(custom-setq VARIABLE VALUE)

should have the same semantics that going through the customization
interface, I'm not saying that VALUE is a constant, or non-evaluated.

(custom-setq my-var (user-full-name))

would evaluate `user-full-name', pass the value (let's say it is
"jbarran") to custom-seq, and then it would do the *same* thing that if
I did M-x customize-variable my-var and typed "jbarran" and then
selected "Save for Future Sessions". But if the same code is executed in
another environment, custom-setq would be called with another arguments.

> I actually agree with the above.  But what does this have to do with
> `inhibit-startup-echo-area-message'?  It definitely is not one of
> those variables.

Luc, forgive me if I'm starting to get a bit fed up with this, but I
think I've been saying for about four messages now that it's *not*
particularly related to inhibit-startup-echo-area-message. That variable
must be set through customization:

> Setting this variable takes effect
> only if you do it with the customization buffer
> or if your `.emacs' file contains a line of this form:
>  (setq inhibit-startup-echo-area-message "YOUR-USER-NAME")

so I chose it as an example. That's all. Please assume I said
"current-language-environment" instead.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u