Re: Customize Rogue

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Customize Rogue
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:24:32 +0100

> The "problem" is that I *don't* like the customization interface, but
> some modules want to force the user to set variables through the
> interface. I don't want to do that. I want to set them directly.

If any module force the user to go through Customize, that is simply a
bug in that module.  Rather than implementing workarounds, the module
should be fixed.

Note that most cases where people notice this is for minor modes,
which used to work like this

(defvar foo-bar-mode nil) ;; Internal state variable, do not touch

(defun foo-bar-mode (flag) ...) ;; Command to turn foo bar mode on or off.

and now work like this

(defcustom foo-bar-mode nil
  "State of foo bar mode, only change this through customize." ...)

(defun foo-bar-mode (flag) ...) ;; Command to turn foo bar mode on or off.

because Customize requires a variable to work.

This means an internal variable have become visible but only for
customize users.  It does not mean foo bar mode suddenly only can be
set through customize, but the Lisp interface is now as always a
function, not a variable.  The doc-string just makes people jump to
the conclusion that no Lisp interface is available.

With Luc's set-activate function, there will be to Lisp interfaces
with identical semantics.  But it will help people who us customize to
search for options, but not to set them, so I think it is very useful.