Re: Customize Rogue

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Customize Rogue
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 08:42:22 -0600 (CST)

Kim Storm wrote:

   And I think it was exactly what was asked for -- except for the name.

   I like custom-set (or custom-setq) better, as is emphasizes that
   this does indeed work just as if the variable was set interactively
   through customize (as the doc string of some variables say is
   required).

There is one difference.  All side effects will be the same, but, as
the function is written, customize will consider the option as being
"changed outside the customize buffer".  Hence "custom-" in the name
might be misleading.

The following documentation string follows Emacs' conventions better
than the original:

(defun set-activate (variable value)
  "Set VARIABLE to VALUE.  If there is a set-function, call it."
  (custom-load-symbol variable)
  (funcall (or (get variable 'custom-set) 'set-default) variable value))

Maybe some further lines could be added to make clear that this is a
valid alternative to using a customization buffer and that customize
will consider an option set in this way to be changed outside the
customize buffer.

Sincerely,

Luc.