Re: Ibuffer as default

From: John Paul Wallington
Subject: Re: Ibuffer as default
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 07:47:28 +0000

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> wrote:

> Hadn't it been decided to make Ibuffer the default (i.e. replacing
> list-buffers) ?  Did I dream it ?

Colin told me that making Ibuffer the default was contingent upon it
taking less space or consing less.

> Also I see that list-buffers uses the header-line whereas Ibuffer
> doesn't.

Ibuffer does use the header-line, but for displaying what filters
(not filter groups) are active.

>  But I also note that the header-line doesn't look right
> (I think it doesn't take into account the width taken up by the
> scrollbar and it doesn't use the default face so the things
> don't line up neatly).
>

>       Stefan
>

> PS: Turns out the header-line problem is that:
>     - my header-line face uses a different font than my default face
>       which makes it hard to line things up.  Adding a `face default'
>       property to the string solves the lining-up but overrides the
>       general look of the header-line (grey background with a slight
>       3d look).
>     - list-buffers-noselect calculates the spacing necessary for the
>       scrollbar+fringe for the current frame which in my case was the
>       minibuffer-only frame, leading to a result that's wrong for
>       the frame that is ultimately used to display the buffer.

I recently changed it to work better, especially for relatively
default cases like emacs -nw and Emacs under X with a left-sided
scrollbar and left-sided fringe (before it just used one space char
regardless).  But it seems doomed to lose given unusual settings.  Is
there a straight-forward way to cons up pixel-perfect spacing, say as
a display property ?