Re: Customize Rogue

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Customize Rogue
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:29:23 -0600 (CST)

Benjamin Riefenstahl wrote:

   As a first step to world domination (;-)), we could put this statement
   into the defcustom documentation and docstring, as a statement of
   policy, and so that package writers get a chance to do the right
   thing.  That's what I meant.

   > The only problem is whether it is possible to do that in practice.

   In addition we can check the packages bundled with Emacs to adhere to
   that policy.

I believe that this is a good idea and would eliminate the need for
set-activate, custom-setq or whatever.

(I should maybe clarify that I never intended set-activate to be a way
for Lisp programs to set a parameter.  If that is what the name
suggests, then I agree that it should be renamed custom-set, or, if
rewritten as a macro, custom-setq.  I just object against deliberately
providing false information to the user in the "State: " line and
messing up the internals of customize.  Anyway, if we go for the
above, all of this is irrelevant.)

Sincerely,

Luc.