Re: Customize Rogue

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Customize Rogue
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:07:40 -0500

> The "problem" is that I *don't* like the customization interface, but
> some modules want to force the user to set variables through the
> interface. I don't want to do that. I want to set them directly.

I think clearly, the problem is in the way those modules
use customize.
Most uses of :set are for things like minor-mode (where using
define-minor-mode has the advantage of providing a standard way
to deal with it), the others should be replaced.

I.e. we could provide set-activate, but I think we should
instead encourage people to avoid :set or at least use very
simple :set expressions and document the lisp-way to do things
in the docstring (as is done by define-minor-mode and as was done
before custom).

        Stefan

PS: How about we add `write-watchers' to variables ?  These would be
    hooks that get called when a specific variable is `setq'd.
    It'd have "zero performance impact" if we put it in the "setq-ing
    a read-only variable" error handling path.