Re: Customize Rogue

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Customize Rogue
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:38:09 +0100

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> And I think it was exactly what was asked for -- except for the name.

Nope, it will not cheat customize, seen from the point of view of
Customize using set-activate is exactly the same as setq.

> I like custom-set (or custom-setq) better, as is emphasizes that
> this does indeed work just as if the variable was set interactively
> through customize (as the doc string of some variables say is
> required).

It does *not* work exactly like if the vartiable was set through
customize, specifically it does not add the customized-value or
saved-value properties to the symbol, so customize will still consider
it rogue, and it will not be useful as a workaround for
'inhibit-startup-echo-area-message'.

Calling it custom-setq would nonetheless make some sense, as the
symbol property it obeys is called custom-set.