Re: Customize Rogue

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Customize Rogue
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:06:58 +0100

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Maybe Customize could be changed to maintain a list of set-activate
> statements instead of the current custom-set-variables thingy.  Then
> people could just copy and paste set-activate statements...

Not with the semantics Luc has, it doesn't do everything
custom-set-variables does.

Splitting custom-set-variables into many seperate forms would be a
good idea though, since it would make it easier to share
customizations.  I.e. "put this into your .emacs at top level" instead
of "merge this into your own custom-set-variables form, or create one
if you don't have it".  It would make the "save customizations"
function somewhat more complex though.

Of course, it would also encourage people even more to put the
statements other places than the top-level of custom-file, which would
be dsirable but hard if not impossible to support in the "save
customizations" function

I believe it was a mistake to save the customizations as Lisp, people
have expectations of what they can do with Lisp code that is
impossible to fullfil from a simple form based interface.