Re: Customize Rogue

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Customize Rogue
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 16:34:04 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   I can see one possible purpose for a function that would be called
   custom-setq: a way to set a customizable variable and tell Custom to
   regard it as "set by Custom" rather than as "set outside of Custom".

Telling Custom that a variable was "set by Custom" by setting
'custom-saved will make Custom and its users believe that the variable
is under Custom's control and that changing the variable using Custom
will work.  That is OK if the variable was set in such a way that this
is really true, as can currently be achieved by manually editing
`custom-set-variables' or `custom-set-faces' (which will automatically
also set 'custom-saved).  As long as Custom sets its variables through
these two forms, setting 'custom-saved manually for variables set in
some other way will produce bugs and create severe problems for users
who either always or sometimes use Custom to set variables (as
opposed to as a mere browser).

   It might be nice if Custom wrote out a series of custom-setq
   calls into .emacs, one per variabl, rather than writing a single
   sexp that sets all the variables.

That would indeed change the situation.  In this situation a user-set
custom-setq would indeed be indistinguishable from a Custom set one
and hence would and should set 'custom-saved.  This is not the current
situation however.  It seems to me that changing this situation can
not be done in a simple function with a few lines of code.  To me it
seems to require a careful rewrite of Custom.  Per touched on this
possibility in another message.  Per is way more qualified than me to
judge the feasibility of actually doing this.

Sincerely,

Luc.