Re: Customize Rogue

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Customize Rogue
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 12:19:20 +0100

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> I made a proposal to suggest that the function used by :set should
> normally not only be named, but actually use the same symbol as the
> variable.

I don't think that is reasonable, the function signature expected by
:set is slightly different from the the function signature that would
be most natural from Lisp.  I.e. something like

  (decustom foo-bar-mode nil
    "Foo bar minor mode.
  Must be set with (foo-bar-mode VALUE) or through Customize."
    :type 'boolean
    :set (lambda (symbol value) (foo-bar-mode value)))

is quite reasonable.  I.e. SYMBOL will often be implicit in the Lisp
function.

> After sending that message, I saw that you were not on the CC list,
> but I assume that you read emacs-devel.

I occasionally scan the list on GMANE, more often so when I'm involved
with a discussion.  I.e. no reason to CC me on discussions where I'm
already involved, but if someone want my opinion on a new subject,
CC'ing me is a good idea.