Re: Customize Rogue

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Customize Rogue
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 11:24:46 -0600 (CST)

Per Abrahamsen wrote:

   Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

   > Richard Stallman wrote:
   >
   >    It might be nice if Custom wrote out a series of custom-setq
   >    calls into .emacs, one per variabl, rather than writing a single
   >    sexp that sets all the variables.
   >
   > That would indeed change the situation.  In this situation a user-set
   > custom-setq would indeed be indistinguishable from a Custom set one
   > and hence would and should set 'custom-saved.  This is not the current
   > situation however.  It seems to me that changing this situation can
   > not be done in a simple function with a few lines of code.  To me it
   > seems to require a careful rewrite of Custom.  Per touched on this
   > possibility in another message.  Per is way more qualified than me to
   > judge the feasibility of actually doing this.

   It would require rewriting a single function, custom-save-variables.
   As long as all the 'custom-setq' were required to be at the top level
   of custom-file, I don't think that would be too hard.

Of course, if this were actually implemented, it could eliminate the
need for other solutions, including the (foo value) versus setting
foo to VALUE using Custom convention I advocated in other postings.
(Except in those cases where it would be useful to call foo
interactively or from Lisp.)

Sincerely,

Luc.