Re: New icons for GUD/GDB toolbar

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: New icons for GUD/GDB toolbar
Date: 14 Mar 2003 12:20:42 +0900

You're right, the contrast is too low.

Some other problems:

  (1) To be honest, I haven't the faintest idea of what most of these
      mean; they seem to neither resemble any existing debugger icons
      (that I'm familiar with), nor to have any obvious meaning
      suggested by the graphic.  At best, I can kind of guess.

      Some exceptions are the `run' and `cont' icons (I agree with you
      about the running man, it's a good symbol).

      I'm not sure what the `finish' icon is intended to be for, but the
      image of a stop-sign suggests `stop' (e.g., interrupt a running
      process)...

  (2) I think the style should be more similar to more general emacs
      icons (which are from Gnome); having distinct graphical styles
      for every sub-mode feels sort of amateurish (yeah I know this is
      already the case with e.g. gnus, but it seems like a good idea to
      not do it _more_).

  (3) They all seem to have a hard-wired grey background color; don't
      do that, an emacs toolbar can be any color.

  (4) Every icon seems to have a picture of a `page' in the background,
      over which the main graphic symbol (arrow or whatever) is
      overlayed.  This seems both a bit odd (what does it mean?) and
      superfluous, and contributes to the lack of contrast.  Unless it
      really adds something, it seems better to just get rid of the
      page thing, and use the foreground symbol directly.

They are nicely drawn, however... :-)

-Miles
--
97% of everything is grunge