Emacs GTK scroll-bar flickering

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Emacs GTK scroll-bar flickering
Date: 14 Mar 2003 14:39:08 +0900

Hi,

I decided to check out emacs' GTK support again today, and notice that
while it's mostly working great, the scrollbars flicker madly, to the
point where I find I can't use them (simply because the flickering is
too annoying).

They flicker not only when being used, but apparently for any redisplay
that happens, no matter how small (e.g., insert a character at the end
of the buffer, and the scrollbars will flicker), and indeed, flicker
quite a bit even if you're doing nothing!

I can't really tell exactly what's happening, but it looks like it's
simply redrawing the whole scrollbar at every opportunity.

I tried to use as standard an environment as possible, e.g., `emacs -q',
no .gtkrc-2.0 file, no X resources.  The flicker is even more noticable
with pixmap themes, presumably because they're slower to draw, and
often use more contrast.  It's a debian-unstable system, which

Is this a known problem?  Is it solvable?  I don't see anything like
this with other GTK apps, so I guess it must be emacs.

BTW, libgtk is version 2.2.1, emacs is today's CVS.

Thanks,

-Miles
--
We live, as we dream -- alone....