Re: Emacs GTK scroll-bar flickering

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Emacs GTK scroll-bar flickering
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 19:46:47 +0100

Miles Bader wrote:
On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 01:44:49PM +0100, Kai Gro?johann wrote:

Maybe I'm blind or something...

I suspect that you're probably just using a GTK theme where it's less
noticable; I use a pixmap theme (i.e., a bit slow to draw) with a lot of
contrasty bits, which makes the flicker _very_ obvious.  With other themes
(e.g. the default), it's not as obvious, but I can see that it's still
happening.  Also, I suppose it may be related to the GTK version, etc.

BTW, it's not just inserting characters at the end of the buffer that does
it, it's essentially _every single command_ (it even flickers if you just let
it sit there and do nothing!).

Internally in Emacs x_set_toolkit_scroll_bar_thumb gets called a lot, for example when the cursor moves. One would think it should only be called when needed (i.e. anithing changed scrollbar-wise). This coupled with the fact that scroll bar redraws in GTK seems to be particulary bad, makes the flicker happen. I can just see it when opening a large file and pressing down arrow so the cursor goes from top to bottom rapidly. I do not have a pixmap theme either.

I am reluctant to change how x_set_toolkit_scroll_bar_thumb gets called as it might break something, so I added a fix for GTK instead. Please try it. Scroll bar redraws have been a problem the whole time, for example, getting it to redraw when moving the scroll bar from the left to the right, getting it to clear the background (i.e. behind the thumb) when splitting a window, etc.

        Jan D.