Re: Issues with Windows gcc -mno-cygwin (Mingw)

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Issues with Windows gcc -mno-cygwin (Mingw)
Date: 18 Mar 2003 18:26:49 +0000

Benjamin Riefenstahl <address@hidden> writes:

> - The cygpath issue.  The Makefiles have the necessary code to use the
>   Cygwin cygpath utility, but it's commented out.  I appreciate that
>   the situation is not very stable in that area, but could we consider
>   a conditional and a configure item for this?  We do need that code
>   as long as we want Emacs to support Cygwin at compile-time, but not
>   at run-time, because without that code the Makefile will provide
>   Cygwin paths to ELisp.

Ultimately cygwin should fix their port of make to pass paths that
Windows programs expect, but if you would like to work on a
conditional that does not break the build with mingw32 versions of
make or when older versions of cygpath are installed, go ahead.

> - Problem with _fmode (global MSC variable set to O_BINARY as the
>   default file mode).  For a simple patch see below.  Strictly
>   speaking I think the real problem is that this is not handled
>   without the _fmode hack.  The code should just use its own global
>   variable (or even more simply just add O_BINARY everywhere) instead
>   of using this brittle compiler/runtime dependent solution.

I don't understand what problem this is fixing. Can you explain some
more?