Re: Issues with Windows gcc -mno-cygwin (Mingw)

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Issues with Windows gcc -mno-cygwin (Mingw)
Date: 19 Mar 2003 08:41:45 +0000

David PONCE <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Jason,
>
> I use latest versions of native mingw tools (not through cygwin):
>
> - gcc 3.2.2 (mingw special 20030208-1)
> - binutils 2.13.90-20030111-1
> - mingw-runtime 2.4
> - w32api 2.2
>
> I also encountered that problem, with latest versions of the
> mingw-runtime (2.3, 2.4).
>
> Since these versions, the default runtime _fmode is text mode.
> Because of that, I noticed that Emacs incorrectly reads some data,
> and I got runtime errors, particularly in the function
> "get_doc_string" in doc.c.

The default runtime _fmode is text with all Windows compilers. Why is
this a problem only for mingw32's 20030208 build of GCC 3.2.2?

The usual way to set _fmode to binary globally is to link with
binmode.obj, but I'm not absolutely sure that we want _fmode to be
binary globally (otherwise we would have already done this for MSVC).