Re: display table for eight-bit-graphic

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: display table for eight-bit-graphic
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:58:57 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
>     I think the display table is obsolete only as a means of
>     displaying 8-bit characaters in unibyte buffer and
>     eight-bit-control/graphic characters.

> That seems like a surprising assertion to me.  Is it because
> you think people would use a terminal coding system instead?

No.

In unibyte buffer, by setting
unibyte-display-via-language-environment to non-nil, 8-bit
characters are converted to multibyte characters by
unibyte-char-to-multibyte on displaying.  The merit of this
is that when a user changes the language environment, 8-bit
characters are displayed correctly based on the current
language environment.  The demerit may be that unibyte users
don't want such a nifty feature, but want to stick to the
font he specified.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden