Re: Issues with Windows gcc -mno-cygwin (Mingw)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Issues with Windows gcc -mno-cygwin (Mingw)
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 06:30:17 +0200

> From: Benjamin Riefenstahl <address@hidden>
> Date: 20 Mar 2003 00:31:01 +0100
>
> > > From: Benjamin Riefenstahl <address@hidden>
> > > - Problem with _fmode
>
> > Is this change only for the unexec phase, or for the entire Emacs
> > operation?
>
> For the entire operation.  Emacs doesn't use O_BINARY directly to load
> files.

Oh yes, it does--at least in the DOS_NT versions.  Grep the C sources
for _BINARY, and you will see it yourself.

So the only issue with binary I/O I'm aware of is with standard input
and output handles.  That's why the code in emacs.c does what it does.

Note that switching stdin/stdout to binary mode might not be necessary
in the MinGW build; the DOS port does that because otherwise control
characters such as C-c and C-z are interpreted by the OS instead of
being passed directly to the application.