Re: customize-style

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: customize-style
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:39:09 -0600 (CST)

Per Abrahamsen wrote:

   > Perhaps we should change it to make the variable buffer-local if it is
   > not.  Per, what do you think?

   I never understood the variable, so I don't have an opinion.

If Per, who wrote Custom, does not understand the purpose of
custom-local-buffer, how can we expect the average Custom user to
understand?  I do not, and I believe that I reasonably carefully read
the involved source code.

For interactive use, using Custom and binding custom-local-buffer to
set buffer local values seems both more complicated and less convenient
than the alternative means, as long as there is a well documented Lisp
alternative to setting the value through Custom.  If not,we are back
to a problem we have been discussing in another thread.

Per suggested using the variable for the purpose of putting Custom
themes into effect buffer-locally.

In as far as the following question is concerned:

   Perhaps we should change it to make the variable buffer-local if it is
   not.

If it is going to be used to put Custom themes into effect
buffer-locally, then I believe that this would indeed be better: it
would seem that either one wants the effect fully locally or fully
globally.  Like Per, I have no opinion on other uses, because I do not
know exactly what they are supposed to be.

Again, however, if custom-local-buffer is going to work reliably, for
whichever purpose, every existing or future :set function for a
potentially buffer-local variable, should be able to handle non-nil
values appropriately.

Sincerely,

Luc.