Re: Info menu item bugs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Info menu item bugs
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 06:43:06 +0200

> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:15:34 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden>
>
> First problem:  the only way I found to start Info in its `dir'
> directory from the menu bar is to click on the `All Other Manuals
> (Info)' subsubentry in the `More Manuals' subentry in the `Help' menu.
> This is too far down the hierarchy for a novice.

IMHO, an Emacs novice needs a quick way to the Emacs manual, not to
the DIR menu.  The Emacs manual is on the Help menu.

> Fifth problem:  After restarting Info, the `Reference' item continues
> to be partially blanked out, which indicates correctly that it is
> inactive.  The correct information is fine, but using Info as I just
> did, I cannot find any way to make use of the `Reference' item.  As
> is, the entry is useless and superfluous.  It should be removed.

Don't you get a tooltip when you your move the mouse pointer above
that inactive menu item, telling you what the menu item does?  If so,
it is _not_ useless, IMHO: the tooltip teaches you what it would have
done if it were active.

So I don't think it should be removed.